I was one of 2,500 fortunate marketers from around the world who had the opportunity to attend Content Marketing World in Cleveland this month. And let me tell you, it did not disappoint!
We’ve all been to industry conferences and professional development seminars, most of which were short on inspiration, actionable advice and energy.
In contrast, Content Marketing World 2014 offered all this and more. Three days filled with some of the smartest and most talented people in marketing, whether they were presenters or attendees. As I reflect on all I’ve learned, a few superstars stand out in my mind.
Without further ado and in no particular order, here are my top five favorite presenters along with what they presented, why they were amazing and my favorite quote:
- Heidi Cohen, Chief Content Officer of the award-winning Actionable Marketing Guide and owner of Riverside Marketing Strategies.
- What: “How to Develop a Content Curation Strategy for Your Organization”
- Why: During a 3-hour intensive workshop, Heidi provided actionable and practical tips to curate content in various forms, applicable for both experienced marketers and marketing newbies.
- Fave quote: “Content curation’s super power is spotlighting others and making them look good.”
- Andrew Davis, speaker, entrepreneur and best-selling author of Brandscaping: Unleashing the Power of Partnerships (one of Amazon.com’s Top 100 Marketing Books).
- What: “Inspired Content: How Brilliant Storytellers Create a Sudden Urge to Act”
- Why: Andrew showed us how brilliant storytellers create moments of inspiration that actually drive revenue.
- Fave quote: “Valuable content increases demands for the products and services you sell. It inspires people to buy something they didn’t know they needed.”
- Rebecca Lieb, super-smart analyst at Altimeter Group where she covers digital advertising and media.
- What: “The Content Marketing Software Landscape: Marketer Needs & Vendor Solutions”
- Why: Rebecca managed to squeeze a half-day’s worth of content into 60 minutes, which left the audience with several key takeaways including tips on how to select the right content marketing software (check out this infographic).
- Fave quote: “By 2016, there will be ‘content stack’ offerings in the marketplace – end-to-end solutions akin to ad stacks.”
- Robert Rose, simply put: a master storyteller. Need more? He’s also the Chief Strategist for the Content Marketing Institute, and Senior Contributing Analyst for Digital Clarity Group.
- What: “Experiences: The 7th Era of Marketing and the Rise of Content Creation Management”
- Why: Robert painted a vivid picture of how content creation management will transform marketing both inside and out. Marketers are in a pivotal position to change business by creating brilliant brand experiences.
- Fave quote: “Every experience you create is the opportunity to have impact. You choose what the impact will be.”
- Scott Stratten, president of UnMarketing, an expert in viral, social, and authentic marketing, ranked one of the top influencers in the world on Twitter and an author of three books (and currently writing “UnSelling” due out this fall). Oh and he’s Canadian, so really no reason not to like him. And did you know he created http://nooooooooooooooo.com?
- What: “Data, Digits & Dummies - What You Know About Content Marketing May Be Wrong”
- Why: Scott is a no-holds-barred marketing pro with the energy and style of a stand-up comic
- Fave quotes (sorry, I can’t limit it to just one!):
- “If you only talk to people that talk to you, you're self social. You've got to give to the social ecosystem”
- "Scheduling your social posts is like sending a mannequin to a networking event."
- “Don't try to be first. Be right first.”
You may have noticed that I didn’t include Kevin Spacey in the above list. While he was absolutely incredible and a perfect closing keynote I wanted to focus on those who were equally as inspirational while also offering practical insights to amplify and activate today’s content marketers.
Who were your favorites?